What does “Intermittent Fasting” mean?
Basically it’s a different way of eating your meals throughout the day. You will fast (not eating) a period of time, then you will get all your daily caloric intake in the remaining time of the day.
For example: I will eat all my meals untill 6 PM, then i will not eat anything the whole night and morning. Just water. Plenty. When i finish my fasting period, i’m starting to eat all my meals from 12 PM to 6 PM.
Keep in mind that this isn’t about what should you eat. It’s about when you should eat.
Best way to do intermittent fasting?
It’s not really just one perfect way to do intermittent fasting, but i listed below three methods that are more popular than the others. Try them and see which one fits you the best.
- The 16/8 Method: Involves skipping breakfast and restricting your daily eating period to 8 hours, for example from 1 pm to 9 pm. Then you “fast” for 16 hours in between.
- Eat-Stop-Eat: You will stop eating 24 hours, once or twice a week, then you can eat normally for the rest of the week.
- The 5:2 Diet: Basically you will eat normally 5 days a week, then for the remaining two days you will consume 500-600 calories only per day.
Why should you try it!
Firstly, this method is mostly used for weight loss. When you eat less meals, you are giving your body more time to digest the food, and it can lead to an automatic reduction in caloric intake.
Also your hormone levels are changed. Your insuline will be lower, which means that your blood sugar level will be healthier, and your growth hormone will rise, increasing the relase of noradrenaline who is a fat burning hormone.
On the other hand, intermittent fasting causes less muscle loss than the most weight loss diets, because you aren’t restricting your calories that much.
However, this works because you are eating fewer calories overall. If you eat massive amounts during the eating periods, you won’t lose any weight at all.
Main health benefits:
- Weight Loss: As I mentioned earlier, you will lose weight faster if you aren’t restricting your calories that much.
- Insulin resistance: Intermittent fasting will reduce insulin levels, lowering blood sugar by 3-6% and fasting insulin levels by 20-31%
- Healthy Heart: Intermittent fasting can lower the bad cholesterol, blood sugar and insulin resistance. These can lead to heart problems in the future.
- Cancer: Detoxing your body with fasting regulary can help you avoid it.
- Anti-aging: Intermittent fasting can extend lifespan because your hormone levels are healthier, especially the growth hormone, which is named “the fountain of youth” if you take them on a medication.
Cons of intermittent fasting:
Well, every good thing has also a bad side, but surprisingly there aren’t so many cons.
- Lasting so much without eating can be hard at first, but you will adapt over time. Your stomach will rumble, you will crave food or snacks on that fasting window, but don’t give up.
- Your energy level will decrease on the first days, but your body will also adapt and you’ll be fine.
- It can be quite hard to get all your meals in a small eating window. Having your belly full can kinda suck, but you can chose anytime other foods that can be digested easily, or you can maximize your eating window.
- It’s a perfect method for losing weight.
- You will lose less muscle than your regular calorie restricting diets.
- You can enjoy your foods more.
- This method will detox your bod7, because you are giving your body more time to digest and eliminate toxins.
- There are a lot of health benefits if you are doing this regulary.
- You CAN build muscle on this if you are on a caloric surplus!
Sounds like a miracle method! Well you should give it a try. I will come back with more informations on this topic, so keep in touch.
For more weight loss tips or routines, please visit our site!